[Borgbackup] how does dedupe work

Fabio Pedretti fabio.pedretti at unibs.it
Fri Jul 17 07:29:01 EDT 2020

We are using a single repository for many servers to maximize
deduplication, but we have a backup server (the only one with borg
installed) which mounts via NFS the servers to backup.
This way there are no cache rebuild issues, there is no risk to backup to
the same repo in the same time, also no need to install borg and configure
the backup on the target servers.
All backups are easily managed from the borg server.
Also, if one target server gets compromised, the intruder won't have access
to the backup repo, because it's accessible only from the backup server.
Hope this helps.

Il giorno ven 17 lug 2020 alle ore 03:16 grumpy--- via Borgbackup <
borgbackup at python.org> ha scritto:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, Zack Coffey wrote:
>
> > I'll take a stab at this answer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > Yes, is the short answer. It will dedupe all of that. (Disclaimer, I've
> not
> > tried it)
> >
> > However, when sharing repos there are caveats. Biggest I know of is the
> > cache needs to be rebuilt every time borgbackup is run. This will make
> > backups take much longer and I don't think you can run them at the same
> > time. Pretty sure I remember seeing someone say you have to make sure
> they
> > don't access the repo at the same time. So it will take more coordination
> > as well.
> >
> > So it's a tradeoff, time vs space.
> >
> > Dedupe in borgbackup is great! I'm saving tons of space. But each machine
> > has its own repo.
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 11:02 AM grumpy--- via Borgbackup <
> > borgbackup at python.org> wrote:
> >
> >> i'm pretty new to borg so try to look around my ignorance
> >> suppose i backup several machines to the same repository and these
> >> machines have the same os
> >> each machine will have a copy of many of the same files
> >> does dedupe remove all of the copies
>
> at present i also have each machine in a separate repository
> just curious about others experiences and opinions

ing. Fabio Pedretti
Responsabile U.O.C. "Reti, Sistemi e Sicurezza Informatica"
https://www.unibs.it/node/4305
Università degli Studi di Brescia
Via Valotti, 9 - 25121 Brescia
E-mail: fabio.pedretti at unibs.it