[Borgbackup] how does dedupe work

Zack Coffey clickwir at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:04:18 EDT 2020

I'll take a stab at this answer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, is the short answer. It will dedupe all of that. (Disclaimer, I've not
tried it)

However, when sharing repos there are caveats. Biggest I know of is the
cache needs to be rebuilt every time borgbackup is run. This will make
backups take much longer and I don't think you can run them at the same
time. Pretty sure I remember seeing someone say you have to make sure they
don't access the repo at the same time. So it will take more coordination
as well.

So it's a tradeoff, time vs space.

Dedupe in borgbackup is great! I'm saving tons of space. But each machine
has its own repo.