[Borgbackup] borgbackup suggestion

Alessandro Baggi alessandro.baggi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 05:18:03 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm new to borgbackup and I'm planning to switch my home backup server
based on bacula to borg. Then after trying it extensively I would like
to replace some backup solution with borg if all will go as intented.

Why migrate from bacula: I used bacula for many years (> 5) and I found
always the volume managing, pooling, recycling too much complicated and
(in some way) not so robust when I need to run backup on disk and not on
TAPE. Over this there is also problem like adding a new client, database
cleaning, deduplication not available without pain, encrypted connection
and encrypted archive. After several years I noticed that I need
something simpler and pratical.

Currently in my LAN I need to backup one workstation (Linux Based), a
NAS (Linux based), a virtual machine (data not raw image) and a remote VPS.

I have some questions:

1) About encryption what is more secure between repokey and keyfile?
2) About managing borg as a central solution. I explain. Using bacula I
can run backup and restore from my server for a specified client. I
noticed that with borg I need to connect to the client and run command
for restore, run backup, run prune, search file, list backups, run check
and so on. For operation like backup, prune and check cron could help
(but this implies that I need to configure for each client a crontab)
but for other operation I need a shell to the client. There is a way to
perform all this operations from a single host? If this is not the right
way to work with borgbackup I am open to any suggestion. I ask this
because in the future I could have many machines to backup and a central
way could save time.

3) About pruning repository with --append-only enabled. I read on a
reddit post that with --append-only mode I can prune old jobs on repos
from a trusted host and not run the prune command from the client but I
don't understand how to do this when all information are stored on the
client. So How I can prune a specific repository from a trusted machine?

Thank you in advance.