[Borgbackup] backup from different machines with different user-ids

Bzzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Mon Jun 8 10:20:59 EDT 2020

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 17:03:32 +0300
Panayotis Katsaloulis <panayotis at panayotis.com> wrote:

> Hello people

Hi Panayotis,

> Today I have decided to update my borg server to the latest version.
> Up to now I used to make backup from different machines (with
> practically identical data), from my Linux and my macOS box.
>
> The problem is on my Linux box, the user has ID 1000 while on the
> macOS the user has ID 501. In the older versions of borg there wasn’t
> any problem with that, or at least any problem that would be obvious.
> I was using  borg mount to see  and transfer files, and it used to
> work fine with rsync.
>
> Unfortunately now this inconsistency results to a “Permission denied”
> error.  I understand that this problem comes originally from
> this  inconsistency. My question is how to fix it? And what would you
> suggest as a best method to handle this situation?

The fastest one I see is :
* mounting the backup on a server directory,
* export this directory from the server on NFS,
* mount this NFS share onto the client,
* client copy files from the mounted NFS share to the disk.

This way, the Id correspondance daemon will play its role and you
shouldn't have any discrepancy in (same) users numeric Ids.

> As a side note, the directory which is backed up, belongs to “me”, the
> same user with the same username on both machines.

Jean-Yves