[Borgbackup] Borg filling local disk completely during backup

Heinz Werner Kramski-Grote kramski at hoernle-marbach.de
Sat May 16 07:55:25 EDT 2020

On Samstag, 16. Mai 2020 11:37:52 CEST Simon Hoffmann via Borgbackup wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> apologies if this has been asked before, I'm new to borg and the mailinglist.
>
> I've set up borg on my mailserver to run every 10 minutes and to keep a rather large amount of archives before pruning. This worked fine for the last weeks, however, a few days ago I found my mailserver's harddrive to be 100% used and thus no new mails arriving.
>
> Looking at the drive, I found ~50 GB files in /root/.cache/borg/xxx/chunks.archive.d. (yes, borg runs as root)

Are you using dhcpdc? For some reason, dhcpdc 9 started mirroring /proc, /sys etc. below /var/lib/dhcpcd, which leads to read errors and probably huge backups in Borg (https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/gaefzl/watch_out_for_backup_issues_with_dhcpcd_90/).

You probably want to exclude
        - /var/lib/dhcpcd/dev
        - /var/lib/dhcpcd/proc
        - /var/lib/dhcpcd/run