[Borgbackup] borgbackup version between distro

Zack Coffey clickwir at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:55:31 EDT 2020

Short answer, you'll be fine. I've used different versions in the 1.1.x
line and everything has worked fine.

Longer answer; I'm not surprised you had trouble with other software with
such different versions being incompatible. Generally speaking, for the
most part, software development and version numbers follow some common
sense. Meaning, from left to right you have the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH versions.

Some software will either be completely or significantly incompatible
between major versions. Less often, but can happen, you'll find some sort
of incompatibility in minor versions. But for the most part, when talking
about differences in patch versions they are compatible. Note, I've said
'generally' and 'most part' and 'some' because not all software follows a
strict rule.

Now as for best practices, have all your versions match. There are
situations that could prevent you from running matched versions, but
getting them all to be the same or as close as possible is ideal.

You can read more here about the general idea of version number methods.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning