[Borgbackup] Raspberry pi 4 for borg server

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Mon Dec 23 05:22:59 EST 2019

> Would the new raspberry pi 4 with 4gb ram and separate nic at gigabit
> speed be enough for an smb to use borg backup on prem on a Pi 4 to send
> data off-site to a receiving server with borg installed?

I don't personally have a rpi4, but I used its predecessors.

I usually advise against using rpi (or similar SBCs) for borg. Even for
the rpi4, these potential issues remain:

- RAM is not expandable, so no matter how much they have, it means game
over for the case you'ld need more (now or some day in the future).

- no ECC RAM

- SD cards sometimes are crappy and the rpi OS is often stored on SD.

- The rpi4 is faster than its predecessors, but still not on the level
of PC or server hardware, neither when looking at speed nor when looking
at reliability.

So whether that is good enough for you depends a lot on how much data
you have and how that will grow in future. Also on how important /
valuable your data is.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393