[Borgbackup] borg serve

archont archont at gmx.com
Sun Sep 15 04:40:37 EDT 2019

`borg serve` helps only if you have a remote repository as it runs on that remote coputer - AFAIK,
it does not do much processing, it merely reads/writes to repo and sends data stream to `borg
create` over ssh.

The heavy work is done by `borg create`. BORG_CACHE_DIR resides on the same computer as `borg
create` is run.

In your scenario, you can mount NAS filesystem on the PC to make it accessible locally and then you
can run `borg create` on that PC. (So that both source and repo are actually considered "local",
and borg serve will not be used at all.)

That is, you do not need to install borg at NAS at all.

archont
--------
On Tue Sep 3 03:36:16 EDT 2019

I think I want this the other way around: I want to backup files of a
low capacity CPU NAS to a machine that has all CPU power needed.

+-----------+ +-----------+
| small CPU |------>-----| big CPU |-->--| Borg disk |
| 512MB RAM | | 8GB RAM | +-----------+

What I want to know: can I run borg on both sides in order to reduce
the Borg's CPU power consumption on the NAS? IOW: share the work. Or
should I configure this in another way?

Both machines are on the same /24 subnet.

R.

--
richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl