[Borgbackup] borg check repository -> very slow

Kevin Elliott kevin.elliott at javajedi.com
Thu Sep 5 16:57:48 EDT 2019

Hi folks,

I am running borg backup to a remote repo (a disk connected to a raspberry
pi 3b+). Most operations are nice and fast, creating archives and restoring
files are OK. However, borg check --repository-only is incredibly slow
(taking several *hours* to complete!). By contrast, borg check
archives-only takes a few minutes to complete. I thought this strange
because it seems to conflict with the documentation, which suggests the
repository check should normally be faster than the archive check. Am I
understanding this correctly please?

https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/check.html
https://torsion.org/borgmatic/docs/how-to/deal-with-very-large-backups/

borg check pi at raspberry:my_borg_repo --repository-only --debug --show-rc

using builtin fallback logging configuration

35 self tests completed in 0.13 seconds

SSH command line: ['ssh', 'pi at raspberry', 'borg', 'serve', '--umask=077',
'--debug']

Remote: using builtin fallback logging configuration

Remote: 35 self tests completed in 0.66 seconds

Remote: using builtin fallback logging configuration

Remote: Initialized logging system for JSON-based protocol

Remote: Resolving repository path b'my_borg_repo'

Remote: Resolved repository path to '/media/pi/disk/my_borg_repo'

Remote: Starting repository check

Remote: Verified integrity of /media/pi/disk/my_borg_repo/index.3086

Remote: Read committed index of transaction 3086

Remote: Segment transaction is    3086

Remote: Determined transaction is 3086

Remote: Found 2985 segments