[Borgbackup] Are mounted filesystems skipped?

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue Jun 4 12:13:01 EDT 2019

> I am trying to backup some local and mounted filesystems (mounted
> partitions, not network ones) and the following command
>
> /usr/bin/borg create --filter AME --list --stats
> /services/backup/borg::srv-test1 /mnt/1TB1/seafile-client/Misc
> /mnt/1TB1/seafile-client/dev-perso /etc
>
> only backs up /etc. There is no single line for /mnt/... despite having
> files which changed. The command runs so fast that I am almost sure that
> the /mnt/... directories were not checked

Strange. Guess the easiest explanation could be some typo in the pathes
(also be careful with uppercase/lowercase).

> Is there a special way to backup files in mounted filesystems?

borg does not care about filesystem boundaries and cross mountpoints
EXCEPT if you use the --on-file-system option.

you could remove the --filter AME so it displays all the files / their
status until you have found the problem.

borg can check unchanged files very fast (and even faster if you run
multiple tries one directly after the others).

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393