[Borgbackup] borgbackup 1.2.0a5 alpha release

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Tue Mar 26 16:08:21 EDT 2019

On 3/26/2019 3:29 PM, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:

> Let me try to understand... Are the following statements correct WRT a
> pull model?
>
> - you want a central schedule on the server, specifically, have the
> server decide when each client should start its backup
>
> - you want the server to hold the credentials to log into the clients,
> not the other way around
>
> - you're OK with installing some form of backup software on each client
>
> If the above is all true, then this should be pretty easy to implement
> (famous last words). Borg already supports a client/server model with
> `borg serve`, the catch is that currently it's one-way: the client
> connects to the server using ssh. But what if you did the following:

The above is included in my desired usage, but there is one other item -
deduplication. I don't know/understand how the above would work wrt the
cache files that borg maintains so that it knows whether a file is
identical or not. From this perspective, I think the pull model might
not be so straightforward. Something in the protocol might need to
communicate the cache checksum info across the client / server model. I
had considered just not using borg at all and using a deduplicating
filesystem but I wanted to keep things simple with ext4, not needing
huge amounts of RAM on the backup-server to support something like ZFS.
Centos/RHEL 7.5 introduces a VDO (Virtual Data Optimizer) which supports
dedup (and compression) - it too has heavier memory requirements, but
not as severe as ZFS.