[Borgbackup] borgbackup 1.2.0a5 alpha release

Melkor Lord melkor.lord at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:51:31 EDT 2019

On 21/03/2019 22:01, Thomas Waldmann wrote:

> released a new alpha test version of borgbackup.

Any chance to see a "pull mode" one day?

I'm having a hard time understanding why this is not yet implemented in
Borg (nor Restic for that matter).

 From an architecture stand point, having the backup host contacting the
client hosts to backup their data is, by far, the strongest security
model in all cases! There's nothing a client can do to compromise the
backup server in any way, only data flows back to the backup server.
With appropriate firewall rules, there's no way for any client to be
able to contact the backup server. This is a very secure design.

Having the client push data to the backup server is always less secure
and from tools like Borg/Restic which focus on security/integrity, I
really can not understand why the "PUSH" model is the favored one and
worse, the only available model from the start.

I really hope a PULL mode will be implemented soon, in a simple way
where the borg backup host executes a borg "minion" through SSH on the
client which does all the work and flows data back to be simply stored
on the backup server, securely and out of reach to anyone with bad
intentions.

--
Unix _IS_ user friendly, it's just selective about who its friends are.