[Borgbackup] merging repositories

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Fri Mar 22 18:36:40 EDT 2019

Is there a way to consolidate archives from multiple repositories into a
new repository?

I've been backing up multiple systems each into its own repository for
several years and I'd like to create a consolidated repository for
archival purposes. The reason for consolidating is deduplication because
it turns out that I've moved large directory trees from one system to
another over time. I would continue adding archives to this consolidated
repository, but at a slow scale, e.g. monthly, so I'm OK with the cache
synchronization overhead and with ensuring that only one system creates
an archive at a time.

I have the feeling that right now the best I can do is borg mount an old
archive and then run a borg create against the mount point. Is that
correct? It would be cool if I could pipe borg export-tar into borg
create, but that doesn't seem supported. Is there another option I'm
missing?

Thanks!

Thorsten