[Borgbackup] borg verbose leaves visual garbage on screen

Panayotis Katsaloulis panayotis at panayotis.com
Sat Feb 16 05:29:16 EST 2019

Hello people and thank you for this excellent backup tool.
Though, it seems that there is a small glitch on the display of verbose backup.

When it displays a file which is not candidate for a backup, it “recycles” the line and displays the next file on top of it.
If the file needs to be backed up, it leaves the line as is and goes down to the next line.
This is perfect behaviour.

BUT, if the file needs to be backed up in length, it is smaller than the file being displayed previously (or any other file displayed previously), then the display of the previous file is still on screen, and instead garbage is displayed after the name of the file being actually backed up. This makes it difficult to understand what is actually backed up, if you don’t know it in advance.

As an example I can give you what I constantly see if I run this command:

# borg create -v --progress --compression lzma,9 --list --filter=AME "$HOST:$BORGLOC::${NAME}" $FDIRS
Creating archive at “………....:.borg::ierax_20190215-171646"
M Works/Development/Java/libs/appbundler/target/antrun/build-main.xmly/.git/objects/75/0777a3b5006ffe73e0e2f2e99c173ab63bc675
M Works/Development/Mobile/SDK/xmlvm/target/antrun/build-main.xmlK/xmlvm/tutorial/ios/sensor/camera/nbproject/configs
M Works/.last_syncC 6.32 MB D 116318 N Works/System/EFI/config-orig.plist

The three actual files are
Works/Development/Java/libs/appbundler/target/antrun/build-main.xml
Works/Development/Mobile/SDK/xmlvm/target/antrun/build-main.xml
Works/.last_sync

It is interesting that the last line not only has garbage, but also the backup statistics.

My system is OSX Mohave and borg 1.1.8 (I know that 1.1.9 already exists, but I am still waiting for brew to catch up)