[Borgbackup] best way to back up running KVM images

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Wed Dec 12 10:54:37 EST 2018

With virtual machines you want at least crash-consistency for your
backups, i.e. you should snapshot the disk images. qcow2 supports this.
Snapshotting the FS the disk images are on may / may not be equivalent.
Probably not equivalent.

If you are running databases inside VMs I'd recommend to additionally
use the DB-specific dump tools.

Cheers, Marian