[Borgbackup] Backup MySQL in Borg

Catscrash catscrash at catscrash.de
Wed Dec 12 02:28:22 EST 2018

Hi,

I'm looking for some best practices to backup mysql databases.

I see multiple scenarios and issues with each of them, so far I didn't
find an ideal way and am looking for your input

 1. Backing up just the datadir files
      * Advantages:
          o Full use of borg deduplication
          o No additional space needed on source system
      * Disadvantages:
          o Restoring gets a lot harder, the data can't be used across
            different versions of mysql/mariadb, risk of issues when
            restoring are a lot harder
          o can't restore single databases / tables
 2. Backing up uncompressed mysqldump file
      * Advantages:
          o Use of borg deduplication, especially for bigger dumps, if
            only some tables change, deduplication should take care of
            the rest
          o easily restorable
      * Disadvantages
          o There must be enough space to store the complete dump
            uncompressed, this can be an issue with databases in the
            region of 600gb+, it's not possible to keep that much space
            on all the systems
 3. Backing up compressed (e.g. gz) mysqldump file
      * Advantages:
          o Much less space needed on source system, as mysqldumps are
            highly compressable
          o easily restorable
      * Disadvantages
          o Deduplication not possible anymore, which makes the backup
            unusable big after a short time

How are you solving this?

Thanks!