[Borgbackup] A question wrt to backupstrategies

David Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Fri Oct 12 03:16:38 EDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:41 PM Tarjei Huse <tarjei at asku.no> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a question with regard to backup strategies.
>
> I use borg for backing up 4-5 ubuntu boxen running fairly standard LAMP
> applications.
>
> What I'm wondering about is which strategy I should use for backups. Right
> now I use a separate archive path for each box. Is this a good strategy or
> should I merge all the archives into one with separate paths within the
> archive for each box (is that even possible?).

No.  When creating a backup, you specify an archive name and source paths;
there is no "path within the archive" so to speak.  What you can do is put
the machine name in the archive name and use '--prefix' on your prunes.
This allows deduplication across sources.  This is all explained in detail
in the docs.  Personally, I use separate repositories per source machine.

> Also, I want to take backups very often of some files, mainly the ones
> that have been uploaded by users. Can I run backups for just some paths
> against the same archive without loosing other data during pruning etc?

Data is removed when every copy has been pruned.  Let's say you have two
backup jobs targeting a repository sourced from different paths, A and B.
After a while, you have A, B, A', B', A'', B'', etc..  As long as your
pruning strategy does not eliminate all sets of A (i.e., one that left only
B''), then you still have A.  You could also make use of archive names and
--prefix as above to define separate pruning strategies for each data set.
Heck, if you design your strategy appropriately, you could have both the
machine name and data set name in the archive name, multiple sets for each
machine, and define different pruning strategies for each subset.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org