[Borgbackup] When is the cache rebuilt?

Dave Cottingham dac at conceptual-analytics.com
Fri Mar 30 16:50:49 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 2:46 PM, Thomas Waldmann <tw at waldmann-edv.de> wrote:

> On 30.03.2018 20:29, Dave Cottingham wrote:
> > Separate repo per client is pretty much automatic in my case, since I
> > have only one client.
> >
> > How is the client identified?
>
> Not at all.
>
> The client either has a cache for that repo manifest hash or not.
>
> > I'm trying to figure out what might have changed.
>
> Did you use different users (home dirs)?
>
> Did you lose / delete the cache?

I don't use different users, and my script sets BORG_CACHE_DIR so the cache
location wouldn't depend on that (I think).

It occurs to me that maybe I have misidentified what's going on as a cache
rebuild. What I see is, I'm backing up when very little has changed, but
borg is spending a lot of time on files that haven't changed. Usually it
goes like greased lightning through unchanged files. So I'm guessing that
it's checksumming all the files, which it doesn't usually do. So maybe the
cache is fine, but something else is making borg think it needs to checksum
files that haven't changed?  How does borg decide which files to checksum?