[Borgbackup] BorgBackup and GlusterFS storage ?

Dmitri Chebotarov dchebota at gmu.edu
Tue Mar 13 10:31:08 EDT 2018

Hello

Are there any known issues/concerns with storing Borg repositories on a GlusterFS volume (Erasure Coded)?

Any limits/recommendations for size of repos and data? Some groups may have ~300TB of data to backup. Is it advisable to split it between multiple repos?

I plan to populate 1PT with Borg backups (multiple repos) and considering my options.
If I understand it correctly  BorgBackup is good fit for GlusterFS's EC volumes - the segments don't change much (at all?) once created and only used for RO operations if data needs to be restored or accessed via Fuse mount.

I also like to increase max_segment_size from 512MB to a large value (2GB), is it as simple as 524288000*4? My goal is to have less files on GlusterFS volume(s).

I've been using Borg for at least a year now and it seems to work very well for all my other projects involving backing data or Linux systems...

Thank you,
--
Dmitri Chebotarov.
George Mason University,