[Borgbackup] Error during borg prune

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Sat Feb 17 08:32:15 EST 2018

On 14.02.2018 09:34, Frank wrote:
> I got an error while doing borg prune. It seems this had been happening
> for some weeks now, but I just noticed that the old archives were
> accumulating and not being pruned.

Well, you need to check your logs more often.

Did you check prune's return code and react somehow if it is not 0?

> Is there something I can do to rescue my repository?

The rather obvious answer is "use borg check [--repair]".

And take serious what --repair is telling you when you invoke it.

> Data integrity error: Invalid segment entry size 2778763224 - too big
> [segment 90673, offset 3739400]

That is one of the many integrity / validity checks in borg. It fails
because the data is invalid.

borg does not create such big chunks, so there is obvious corruption
going on:

- either it is corrupted segment metadata (additionally to the data,
borg stores tag, size, crc32 and id on repo level)
- or it is a corrupted repo index pointing to a random offset somewhere
into the middle of arbitrary data.

Could be faulty RAM or something else, check your hardware.

> '--keep-monthly=1', 'ssh://user@192.168.0.100:22//mnt/HD/Borg']

Didn't I tell you already that the 2nd "//" is wrong and should be "/"?

---

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393