[Borgbackup] key export

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Sun Dec 3 19:30:17 EST 2017

On 11/02/2017 10:53 AM, Jasper Knockaert wrote:
> Hello
>
> If I use key export to backup the repository encryption key, what is the
> format of the output?

It's the same format as used in a borg keyfile (if you use keyfile not
repokey encryption mode).

> Is the exported key still encrypted or not?

It is encrypted, you need to also remember your passphrase.
We recently clarified the docs about that.

> put it differently: in the case the exported key gets compromised, would
> one need the repository password the decrypt the archives or not?

You'ld need the passphrase to decrypt the (exported) key.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393