[Borgbackup] Are regular check necessary?

Sebastian Bayer bayerse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:03:45 EDT 2017

Hello,

just recently I started evaluating borg as possible replacement for my
rsync + ZFS snapshots backup strategy.
So far, everything looks very good and I like borg a lot.

I have two questions:

Q1: Are regular check necessary / recommended? Are there any best practices?
Q2: What can lead to corruption of the archive?

If this has been covered before, I'm sorry, but I could not find anything.

FYI, my borg backend is FreeNAS (which is based on FreeBSD) and a mirrored
ZFS pool, so there is (almost) no risk of bit rotting.

Thanks
Sebastian