[Borgbackup] remove ssh or via SMB?

jungle Boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 18:57:20 EDT 2017

On 27 September 2017 at 14:27, Steve Schow <steve at bstage.com> wrote:
> I have recently ran some tests and notice that I got 25% faster performance by sending data from borg to a remote machine via SMB share vs using SSH remote tunnel.  I also note that CPU performance on the source machine is substantially worse with the SSH tunnel, as the SSH process itself imposes signficant overhead in addition to the borg process.
>
> Can anyone comment about why this might be, how it might be improved or any particular reasons why the SSH tunnel would be preferable to saving the archive over SMB networking?

As others have said, it's likely the encryption taking place in ssh.
As you've already encrypted the data, maybe you can use HPN-SSH and
see what your results are like: https://www.psc.edu/index.php/hpn-ssh
& https://sourceforge.net/p/hpnssh/wiki/Home

HPN-SSH is a series of patches for OpenSSH to provide improved
performance and functionality. The core of HPN-SSH is the
implementation of a dynamic receive side buffer. By allowing this
buffer to grow with the TCP receive buffer it's possible to attain
significant throughput improvement - up to two orders of magnitude
depending on the network path. Patch sets for each OpenSSH release
will be found in the appropriate subfolder.