[Borgbackup] remove ssh or via SMB?

Alex JOST jost+lists at dimejo.at
Thu Sep 28 02:18:07 EDT 2017

Am 28.09.2017 um 00:45 schrieb Steve Schow:
> Right..  when you say it doesn’t support encryption, I assume that borg itself is encrypting the archive anyway right?
>
> I’m actually using —encryption=none anyway because its all on my local LAN and I don’t care about my archive being encrypted…but just for the sake of understanding the situation….
>
> Plus I’m actually using SMB1/CIF
>
> general question…if you have borg using encryption……and also using SSH…then isn’t it getting encrypted twice?

Borg encrypts the data itself. Data is encrypted at the source and saved
as is at the destination. This protects from an attacker trying to read
the data at the destination.

SSH encrypts the transport channel. The data stream is encrypted on the
source and decrypted at the destination. This protects from an attacker
sitting in between source and destination (MITM - man in the middle).

--
Alex JOST