[Borgbackup] Lots of files that change rarely and predictably

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Mon Sep 11 08:59:26 EDT 2017

On Sep 11, 2017, Thomas Levine <_ at thomaslevine.com> wrote:

> I have a directory of about 670,683 files in a single borg repository.
> Archive creation takes a long time because borg checks all of the files.
> I should be able to make the backup go faster because the files change
> very predictably, and I seek your advice on how to do this.

One repository can contain archives with different content.  So you
could just run

  borg create <repo> old/2017

for now, and switch to old/2018 next year, etc.  You can mix in periodic
backups of everything, just to be safe, and borg will correctly
dedupicate the content shared between different archives.

Dan