[Borgbackup] performance problem

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Thu Aug 31 08:31:51 EDT 2017

> the 1st archive is about 195GB with 462.000 files and take
> about 11  hours to complete
>
> the 2nd archive is about 377GB with 1.020.000 files and take
> less then 2 hours

Let's rather refer to this as the utenti and gruppi data set.

"1st" and "2nd archive" gives the wrong impression that 1st = initial
backup, 2nd = subsequent backup (of same data set).

> I do not understand what can slow down the performance of the first
> archive.

Are both backups running on same machine?

Are both backups storing into the same repository? Or at least into a
repository located on the same borg repo server?

The data set read by the backups - where does the data come from?
Local fs? nfs? smbfs? other?
Different performance might just come from differently performing source
file systems.

If it is not a local filesystem, lower performance is expected.

Do you always backup the same path or do you mount at different places?
Pathes need to be stable or the files cache can't work.

Also check whether inode numbers are stable. Network filesystems often
do not have stable inode numbers, you can have a look at --ignore-inode
option of borg create then.

Also, I think you should use lz4 compression at least. It usually saves
more time than it needs.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393