[Borgbackup] Warning: “Using a pure-python msgpack! This will result in lower performance.”

Mario Castelán Castro marioxcc.MT at yandex.com
Fri Aug 25 16:14:18 EDT 2017

On 20/08/17 23:01, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
>> “Using a pure-python msgpack! This will result in lower performance.”
>
> Usually you get this warning because it could not compile the C++
> implementation of msgpack and just falls back to the Python
> implementation. Often this is due to a missing C++ compiler.
>
> So, just check if you can execute: g++ --version

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.

I had g++ installed already. I suspect that the problem is that
virtualenv isn't copying the binary files (“.so”) to the virtual
environment, and therefore the native implementation is missing.

Anyway, I found that using borgbackup from the upstream source requires
a significant amount of configuration for its environment. Since I want
something that works “out of the box” I still use borgbackup, but the
version packaged by Debian instead.

Regards.

--
Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan