[Borgbackup] performance problem

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Fri Aug 25 08:46:26 EDT 2017

> I’m trying to use borg as backup tool for a file server but I’m not able
> to finish the backup during the night.

No problem, just finish it somehow, even if it runs over the day.

Maybe your first backup will not be super consistent (as at daytime,
people will change files). But it will transfer most data chunks to the
repository and create a files cache, so it can be faster next time.

Keep the first backup at least until you finished the 2nd backup of the
same data.

> I would to backup all three directory every day between 23:00 and
> 4:00 ( but it can be 22:00 – 5:00 ).

It might take longer the first time, but (assuming that most of your
data is not changing and also the files cache of borg is working
normally), your subsequent backups will be way faster than the first one.

> The first directory one take about 11 hours to backup 184GB so is not
> possible to complete all 3 directory during the night.

It is, just not the first time.

> Where are my mistakes ? Missing options, error during archive init
> phase, server performance, …
> What can I test ?

Unless your 2nd backup is also unexpectedly slow, there is no big problem.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393