[Borgbackup] Question about borg remote/local setup

David Thibault dave at artlauncher.online
Tue Aug 22 13:10:13 EDT 2017

Hello,

I've got Borg working with all of the files (data, indexes, and everything)
on an NFS share (actually, it's Amazon EFS). It's actually backing up image
data from one NFS share (my WP Uploads files) to the borg repo on a
different NFS share.

It works fine, but it takes about 45 minutes to run through less than 3GB
of image data, even on subsequent runs.  I'm guessing the process would be
much faster if I stored the Borg metadata on the local server and only the
data blocks on NFS.  Then, after the main borg backup, I could do a cron
script that would zip up the remaining borg metadata files, then borg could
back that zip file as well.

Thoughts?  It seems like it would be much better performance than storing
everything on NFS.

If you agree, which files would be best kept on the local disk and which
should be on NFS.  Judging by the repo contents, I'm guessing the data
folder on NFS and the rest on the local disk.  Can you confirm?

Thanks,
Dave