[Borgbackup] Deduplication and encryption

Panayotis Katsaloulis panayotis at panayotis.com
Fri Aug 4 03:00:34 EDT 2017

> Second, each local machine needs to maintain a cache index to do the
> deduplication. This is done automatically for you, but takes some
> extra time to rebuild every time you switch machines. It also takes up
> some space on each machine.

I have seen that too, and for me backup from multiple machines is a
requirement.
I am using borg this way as a perfect n-way sync tool - even if something
goes wrong  I can dig to an earlier version.

What I've seen and I wish it could be improved, is that every time it seems
to bring a lot of meta data, even from those backups that originate from my
machine.
I was expecting to bring only hashes of the machines in between, not from
mines.

Let me explain a little bit, if I may.
Let's say I have machine A and machine B.
So I perform backup A-1, A-2, A3.
Then when I try to send backup B-1, before that I get hashes from A-1, A-2,
A3 (which makes sense). So the order now of backups is A-1, A-2, A-3, B-1.

When I try back to perform backup on A again, then I get hashes from all
backups, A-1, A-2, A-3, B-1 , while I was expecting only hasjed from B-1.
If I have many backups, which is the case of course, then this gets big
really quick...

PS: I don't know if it fetches the 100% of older hashes, but for sure it
fetches all  foreign hashes and most self hashes.

--
Panayotis Katsaloulis