[Borgbackup] a couple of questions

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Wed Jul 19 08:00:47 EDT 2017

> matej_17-07-2017.checkpoint          Mon, 2017-07-17 15:44:55
> matej_17-07-2017                     Mon, 2017-07-17 16:50:06
>
> At some point I renamed matej_presnosnik to matej_start. Anyway, I can
> see several checkpoints. Is it possible to "merge" them on a server side?

Usually one deletes the checkpoints once one has a completed backup of
same stuff.

Borg 1.1 will have code in borg prune that automatically deals with
deleting all checkpoints (except the latest one, when it is not
superceded by a non-checkpoint backup).

> And a final question, I would like to run Borg automatically for
> instance, every day. I assume, I can add to cron someting like this:
>
> borg create /path/to/repo::{hostname}-{user}-{now:%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S}

Yes, add that to cron. And maybe add some excludes for stuff you don't
want to backup.

And also a call to borg prune like:

borg prune --prefix {hostname}-{user}- ...

> However, what happens if I lose my internet connection? And then next
> day, backup will be restarted with new name?

Yes, borg always does full backups. It never does incremental backups
and it also never "resumes" from something that was interrupted - it
just *feels* like that because it is fast due to deduplication.

The name does not matter for retrying an interrupted backup except that
it must not be an existing name, so including the timestamp in the name
solves that.

It makes a checkpoint (see --checkpoint-interval) now and then, which is
a valid, but incomplete backup. If borg gets interrupted, everything
after the last checkpoint will be a incomplete transaction and get
rolled back next time you use the repo. The checkpoint archive contains
references to all the chunks it processed until the checkpoint time, so
it won't need to transfer these again (it notices it already has them in
the repo and just refers to them in the next backup) - that's why it
feels so fast.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393