[Borgbackup] how to back up 300 million files

Maurice Libes maurice.libes at osupytheas.fr
Thu May 4 06:47:22 EDT 2017

Le 04/05/2017 à 12:26, Marian Beermann a écrit :
> As far as I can see the information there is correct and complete.
> MAX_OBJECT_SIZE is an internal constant
>
>> ... limited in size to MAX_OBJECT_SIZE (20MiB).
> Regarding 1.1.x beta compatibility with stable releases; there is no
> intent to break it. Doing so would make them pointless, since no one
> would test such an unstable release.
>
> Cheers, Marian
>
> On 04.05.2017 12:20, Zsolt Ero wrote:
>> Also, is this page still not updated to reflect 1.10 changes?
>> http://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/latest/internals/data-structures.html#note-about-archive-limitations
>>
>> Is MAX_OBJECT_SIZE a constant or can be set using run time parameters?
>>
>> On 4 May 2017 at 11:42, Zsolt Ero <zsolt.ero at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to solve the problem of backing up 300 million files,
>>> preferably with borg. The files are small, totalling only 100 GB all
>>> together (12 kb on average).`
other answer/question from another point of view of a neophyte:

Is borg an appropriate solution in this case of very small files (12kb)
, since borg will never split the files into chunks?
so don't we lose the benefit of deduplication ?
or am I wrong?
I don't remember what is the limit for a file to be split into chunks

ML