[Borgbackup] Delete files from archive

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Mon Mar 20 18:16:15 EDT 2017

> is it possible to delete files from an archive? Or, more specifically,
> what is the best approach to deal with a forgotten --exclude?

When doing the first backup(s) interactively, I usually use --list so I
see what's getting backed up. Often I already notice some missing
excludes. I may also redirect the output to a file, so I can go over it
afterwards and extract information from it to tune my excludes.

Depending on how long it would take to backup the stuff I would rather
like excluded, I can either decide to continue the backup run or cancel
it via Ctrl-C.

I do NOT delete the cancelled / unwanted archive(s) directly afterwards,
but just fix my excludes and then run the backup again.

It will work faster because a lot of chunks are already in the repo from
the first archive (either via the completed archive or via a .checkpoint
archive).

I repeat this until I am happy with the excludes, then I remove all the
incomplete archives (or let prune do it).

That doesn't help if you already have a lot of archives and want to
remove stuff later from them. borg 1.1 will have recreate for this.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393