[Borgbackup] Issues starting a new repository by cloning an existing one

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Thu Mar 2 17:06:21 EST 2017

On 02.03.2017 22:13, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> However, I wonder if this use case is really supported: starting a
> repository by first cloning an existing one and later on having both
> repositories live their own independent lifes.

This is unsupported for encrypted repositories at this time.

For unencrypted repositories it's ok, but needs manual work to work
correctly (cont'd)

> What is this repo ID?

Globally unique identifier for each repository to match the repository
to it's encryption keys and the cache, independent of repository location.

It is stored in the "config" file in the repository. (cont'd)

> Is there a way to change it if one considers it is bad practice to
> have different repositories with the same ID (even when they are on
> different servers at different locations)?

Edit the "config" file and change the ID there in one of the repositories.

Cheers, Marian