[Borgbackup] purge not deleting data?

devzero at web.de devzero at web.de
Mon Jan 23 09:43:10 EST 2017

thanks for your answer/hints

> Well, guess you do not create a borg archive every day?

i do. cronjob runs every day, also on weekend.

first it does rsync to local, then borgbackup is run. rsync does delete data every
day, there are servers with significant change every day (gb`s of added and deleted files)

i create a repository for every single server. that makes deduplication less efficient, yes,
but deduplication benefit on the  "multiple servers into one borg repo) does not bring that great
benefit like having each server in a dedicated borg repo.

dedup on per server basis is sufficient and more safe. what i want is compression and rotation/prune
(i.e. incremental forever) and dedup for the data, which is very different on every server anyway...

we have the same backup strategy from another location , but with rsync + zfs, but i did not want
to rely on zfsonlinux as sole strategy for backup, so i created a second solution working similar,
but with borgbackup as the backend instead of zfs + rotating snapshots

> A while ago I tried to explain prune policies better and made a
> graphical example, see there:
>
> https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/blob/1.0-maint/docs/misc/prune-example.txt
>
> BTW, I've seen you use d-m-y for dates, that is not the best way to do
> it as it does not sort correctly. Maybe rather use y-m-d, if possible.

i will see what i can find and thanks again for the hints.

regards
roland