[Borgbackup] Resuming restore?

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Sat Jan 21 17:12:32 EST 2017

Hi,

this isn't supported out of the box. A not entirely working patch
exists: https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/pull/1665

There are basically two-to-three options:

1.

Look at the extraction result and gauge which folders are complete and
which not. Sometimes this might be obvious, and borg-list will help
here, since stuff is extracted in the same order, so if borg list says:

foo1/...
foo2/...
foo3/...

And you see:

foo1/...
foo2/...

Then you know for certain that foo1 was completely extracted. foo2/
probably not.

This can be used to exclude the finished paths when resuming the
operation (extract takes --exclude just like create).

2.

Your spidey sense tingles and tells you that the conection is flakey.
In this case, use --list (or in 1.1 --progress/-p) to have it show where
it is now. When it then aborts due to connection issues, you directly
see where it left off and what you can exclude when resuming

3.

Avoid having the connection break visibly to borg, by fiddling with SSH
timeouts and all that.

Cheers, Marian

PS: It would of course be nicer if, especially for read-only operations,
Borg would be able to just re-attempt the connection without involving
the user.