[Borgbackup] Borg & Maildir

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Thu Dec 29 13:08:53 EST 2016

Dear Iain,

On 29.12.2016 17:49, Ed F. wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Iain Mac Donald <borg at picturenow.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Ironically, a catastrophic failure, disc failure for instance, is
>> probably easier to deal with than restoring a few emails. The latter
>> is the more common occurrence in my experience.
>
> Use borg to FUSE mount an archive, and then use rsync with suitable
> options to restore any updated files.

I think Ed's suggestion is the most suitable one. After you fuse-mount
the backup, you can rsync it to the mail server (if its not the same
machine), while preserving all time stamps etc. Then it should be fairly
easy to use rsync with --dry-run to perform a "dummy-sync" of the
backup with the current folder. This will list all files that where
deleted, and ignore all others. This way you get "cheaply" a list of
deleted emails. With some luck this list is a lot shorter than your
50.000 emails, and you can more easily nail it down to the ones you
want to restore...

Viele Gruesse,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de