[Borgbackup] Borg & Maildir

Iain Mac Donald borg at picturenow.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 09:45:21 EST 2016

I have been running Borg for a week for our home server & family
laptops and everything is working just great.

The one problem I foresee is restoring deleted emails. Emails are
stored in Maildir format, filenames aren't seen by users, many
folders have high daily activity and some folders contain 10s of
thousands of files. Identifying which file to restore would be very
difficult.

The only way I can think of doing it is by restoring a whole folder to
a temporary location accessible to the IMAP server and then using an
IMAP client to identify the deleted message and copying it back to the
desired folder. Another approach might be doing text string searches on
the Borg backups, within date ranges, but I'm not sure how to do that.

I realise this is a bit off-topic but I was hoping someone on the list
might have a better solution to this problem.

Regards,
Iain.