[Borgbackup] bypassing "Cache newer than repo" error

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Sat Oct 8 08:43:39 EDT 2016

Hi Sitaram

On 08.10.2016 14:17, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
>> This sounds like you created one repository and copied it to multiple
>> drives/locations?
>
> I was going to say "no way" but it appears that is what I did.  Now I
> also understand why it's happening only to one specific repo (a rather
> large one I got lazy about creating the first time, and simply did a
> copy).  I'd clean forgotten!
>
>> You can change the repository ID in the "config" file of the repository
>> (it's hex, keep it the same length), which separates the repositories.
>
> I assume it has no other semantics so I can just randomly change some
> hex digits into others?

Yes.

Caveat: if you use key-file mode you'll have to make the same change in
the key files you use. The default location is
~/.config/borg/keys/<names>. Every key file starts with "BORG_KEY
<repository ID>", that's where you need to make the change.

In repokey or unencrypted mode this doesn't matter.

>> Note: for encrypted repositories it's a very unsafe thing to have
>> multiple independently updated copies of a repository; if they diverge
>> (minutely different contents) and an attacker gains access to more than
>> one copy, the privacy of the repository contents may be compromised.
>
> I do have multiple independently updated copies of a repo, but -- other
> than this one where #2 was created by a file-system level copy of #1,
> all the others are "borg init"-ed independently on each disk.
>
> The passphrase I use is the same, but I assume the internal key was
> randomly generated each time and would not be the same, so the attack
> you speak of should not happen for those repos even if someone got hold
> of them.
>
> Is that understanding correct?

Repositories independently "borg init"-ed are really independent, no
problems there.

But in the case, where you "borg init" and then copy (cp -r / rsync /
etc.) the repo the keys will also be the same. This possibly leads to
the situation where different data is encrypted with the same key, which
is highly problematic.

Cheers, Marian

http://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html#can-i-copy-or-synchronize-my-repo-to-another-location