[Borgbackup] bypassing "Cache newer than repo" error

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Sat Oct 8 07:26:46 EDT 2016

Hi sitaram

This sounds like you created one repository and copied it to multiple
drives/locations?

In that case this is to be expected - Borg distinguishes different
repositories by their ID, which is independent of the location and would
be the same for these copied repositories.

You can change the repository ID in the "config" file of the repository
(it's hex, keep it the same length), which separates the repositories.

Note: for encrypted repositories it's a very unsafe thing to have
multiple independently updated copies of a repository; if they diverge
(minutely different contents) and an attacker gains access to more than
one copy, the privacy of the repository contents may be compromised.

Cheers, Marian

FAQs:
http://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html#can-i-copy-or-synchronize-my-repo-to-another-location