[Borgbackup] [Documentation] Remote/ local usage

nerbrume at free.fr nerbrume at free.fr
Thu Sep 8 02:31:12 EDT 2016

Hi,

> > - where is the compression (lz4/gzip/lzma) done ?
> > - where is the encryption (ssh + borg own encryption) done ?
> > - where is the deduplication done ?
>
> All of the above: client side. This is implied by the docs, but not
> very
> obvious ("Data is encrypted clientside.").
>
> The repository/remote end is a simple key-value database. It needs
> about
> (chunks_count * 40-80 bytes) of memory plus some overhead to work.

Ok, that explains why I saw borg eating 50% of my memory on the remote, while sshd & kworker were eating most of the CPU. I feared to be limited by compression, clearly not the case. However, I know see that I should watch my chunks count to avoid problems in a near future.

> > But I'm also interested in the same question during other borg
> actions, especially borg check.
>
> check does some stuff on the remote end, which can need another
> chunk_counts * 40 bytes of memory, but is normally IO bound.
>
> > I've already gathered from my observations that borg mount is done
> > locally : mounting my backup locally on the small box takes
> > forever.
> >

> > I feel this info should be in the documentation, but refrained from
> submitting a bug. Tell me if I should.
>
> Please do :)

I'll submit a bug with a draft for a FAQ entry.
Thanks for the fast and clear answer !