[Borgbackup] Determining which keys I am using

Walker Traylor wtraylor at areyouthinking.org
Thu Aug 25 07:28:22 EDT 2016

> On Aug 25, 2016, at 5:50 PM, Thomas Waldmann <tw at waldmann-edv.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Walker,
>
> it would be good if you could reproduce the problem with the current
> borg release 1.0.7.

I will try to do this when I can make time.  For now here is your other info:

> Also check that you look at the right locations in the file system, e.g.
> if borg runs as root, the key(s) will be in ~root/.config/borg/keys/
> (not in your users home dir),

Good idea, but I am sure it runs as user wtraylor.

> Did you ever use borg < 1.0 or attic in -e passphrase mode?

Yes, intially.  I deleted everything locally and in the remote repo.

No.  Is this documented somewhere on https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io?

> Also, please make sure the borg code is really the version you think it
> is. In the same way as you usually invoke borg create, please invoke
> borg —version.

I normally use the borg wrapper “borgmatic.”    To be sure I found this in lsof while borgmatic is running:
/opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom/borgbackup/1.0.3/borg-darwin64

wtraylor at macbook$ /opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom/borgbackup/1.0.3/borg-darwin64 --version
borg-darwin64 1.0.3

I also noticed this behavior before I upgraded the local borg binary to a 1.0 release and began using the 1.0.x server binary.  I initialized the repo using a 0.9 release, perhaps 0.96.  I realize this makes it hard to debug and if this isn’t enough information I’ll try to reproduce on 1.0.7.

It was months ago that I initialized the repo with the pre 1.0 binary.  I do remember clearing everything out on the server (including all dotfiles) and client when I decided to change from passphrase to repokey and initialized several times using keyfile.  I assumed it was using the same key and didn’t check until later to discover it was making new keys   (appending .1, .2,  etc to the key.)

Walker