[Borgbackup] 550GB rsync-tree will not dump

Gerrit A. Smit gait at ATComputing.nl
Wed Aug 10 10:02:43 EDT 2016

Hi Thomas,

Op 10-08-16 om 14:03 schreef Thomas Waldmann:
>> # time sh -c 'find .|wc -l'
>>   100479074
>
> Oh, wow. 100 million files. O.O

I just did what you told me to do, so: this just means so many leaves.

Number of inodes is about 16,036,802 with many of them shared by 18 leaves
(4 x hourly, 7 x daily, 4 x weekly, 3 x monthly).

> There is still the open question why the file metadata is so big.
> Do you have a lot of big ACLs or xattrs (extended attributes) in there?

No. xattr does occur, but that's with files made at install time and on just a few hosts.

I think rsnapshot will stay in use as I tend to use Borg for off-site dumps.
Eventually with rsync.net, as they have a special offer for Borg-users.

Gerrit