[Borgbackup] Some minor issues

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Jun 17 05:01:03 EDT 2016

Hi Thomas,
hello to the collective,

in my setup, I'm backing up many similar VMs, which is a perfect ground for
borgs excelling deduplication feature. Since they're hosted on different
machines and backup is triggered with cron, I'm using a single repo and

 	BORG_RELOCATED_REPO_ACCESS_IS_OK=yes

to harvest the maximum result. Of course, it took two attempts to get this
working unattended. A quick googling revealed the environmental intervention.
This deserves a note in the documentation of remote backups, probably with
mentioning the reasons.

What's still a little disturbing, is this:
Warning: The repository at location /backup/borg was previously located at
ssh://user@host/backup/borg
Do you want to continue? [yN]

Given the answer is defined by environment, what's the reason the print the
question "Do you.."? Since no input is given anyway, it results in a missing
newline, which distorts the output. I would even argue, that the warning
itself isn't justified due to being actively approved beforehand, unless
-v is also given. It appears on every backup run and ever recurring warnings
generally doesn't improve average users confidence in the system.

While at it, I noticed, that providing --stats on the command line doesn't
produce any output without also giving -v, which generates other output, that
is less interesting for unattended runs:

Synchronizing chunks cache...
Archives: 10, w/ cached Idx: 0, w/ outdated Idx: 0, w/o cached Idx: 10.

If the stats output was requested explicitly, it should be done, no matter,
what other options were given or not.

Cheers,
Pete