[Borgbackup] strategy for "off-site" backups

Adrian Klaver adrian.klaver at aklaver.com
Sun Jun 5 16:36:41 EDT 2016

On 06/05/2016 12:57 PM, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:
> I'm using borg for on-site backups (i.e. high bandwidth between client
> and borg server) but I'd also like to send some backups off-site (to the
> cloud, really). E.g., if I'm doing daily backups I'd like to ship a
> weekly or perhaps only monthly off-site. Is there a simple way to do
> this that doesn't require doing extra backups and ideally also doesn't
> require a borg server off-site?
> The current fallback option I have is to rsync borg repositories weekly
> or monthly, but that then does sync the dailies at that point in time.
> What would be awesome is if there was a way to get borg to list the
> repository files that need to be shipped off-site for a specific archive
> or set of archives.
> Am I missing something or thinking about it the wrong way?

http://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/internals.html
"
Repository and Archives

...Deduplication is performed across multiple backups, both on data and
metadata, using Chunks created by the chunker using the Buzhash
algorithm...."

I think there would be a dependency issue when trying to break out
specific backups(archives). I can't see how that would be resolved
without also moving over the dependent information.