[Baypiggies] BayPiggies January Meeting: Serverless computing with Wesley Chun

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 10:41:57 EST 2021

Thursday January 28, 2021 7:00 pm (online)
For our first 2021 meeting, we will host Wesley Chun, Google Developer
Advocate and a Fellow of the Python Software Foundation. There will also be
a lightning talk from Chris Brousseau.
Lightning Talk: To Be Announced

Speaker: Chris Brousseau

BayPiggies regular Chris Brousseau will be giving a lightning talk with a
data science theme.
Main Talk: Serverless Computing with Python & Google Cloud
Description

"Serverless" is a term that means many different things. It is a relatively
new field of cloud computing allowing developers to focus more on the
solutions they're building and worry less about the infrastructure. Are
there really no servers? What is the outlook of serverless technologies in
industry today? In this session, we will introduce developers to cloud &
the serverless computing industry then focus specifically on serverless
compute services. There are various ways Python developers can leverage
serverless, whether it's entire (web) apps, mobile backends,
functions/FaaS, or containerized applications.

Attendees will learn how to run code on Google Cloud serverless
platforms... code samples will be in Python (and some JavaScript), but
other languages are supported. Whether you're a developer, technical
consultant, software engineer, DevOps/IT staff, or a systems analyst,
you'll learn how to run code on Google's cloud and be part of a cloud-ready
workforce. Long-time Python App Engine developers will get an update on
what's going on in App Engine-land and get modernization tips.
Speaker bio: Wesley Chun

WESLEY CHUN (@wescpy) is the author of Prentice Hall's bestselling "Core
Python" (corepython.com) series, co-author of "Python Web Development with
Django" (withdjango.com), and has written for Linux Journal, CNET, and
InformIT. In addition to being a Developer Advocate at Google focused on
Google Cloud (for higher education) and a host of the G Suite Dev Show (
goo.gl/JpBQ40), he runs CyberWeb (cyberwebconsulting.com), a consultancy
specializing in Python training. Wesley has over 25 years of programming,
teaching, and writing experience, and was one of the original Yahoo!Mail
engineers. He holds degrees in CS, Math, and Music from the University of
California, is a Fellow of the Python Software Foundation, and Adjunct
Computer Science faculty at Foothill College in Silicon Valley.
RSVP

We will conduct the meeting via Zoom webinar. Please register in advance.
You can do so directly at
https://stanford.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_wdV9YwcAQsG7S9zmngk1xA

We also have a Meetup page for this event:
https://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/274623881/. It would be helpful if
you sign up there as well to give us a sense of the expected attendance
numbers.

Please note that:

   - You are expected to follow our code of conduct.
   - The meeting will be recorded and uploaded to our YouTube Channel at a
   later date.

Code of Conduct

https://baypiggies.net/pages/code_of_conduct.html

Interactions online have less nuance than in-person interactions. Please be
Open, Considerate and Respectful. Also, please refrain from discussing
topics unrelated to the Python community or the technical content of the
meeting.

We hope to see you there!