[Baypiggies] New PyBay and SF Python meetup format - please read, submit talks, RSVP and spread the word!

Grace Law grace at pybay.com
Fri Jun 26 22:40:13 EDT 2020

Hi!

Happy Friday to Bay Piggies folks!

It's been over 3 months since we can gather with people in person, and I've
missed real connections. How are YOU doing? As well as can be, I hope! Many
of you know that I lead the Python community gatherings in San Francisco.
There have been days where I've really struggled, but when the community
members reached out to say hello, that meant more than I could
express 🙏 With that in mind, and since Covid-19 is here to stay, I've gone
on a mission to explore better virtual platforms for us to connect, learn,
and inspire each other.

Today, I am happy to announce some changes to SF Python's meetups so we can
serve more people broadly and hopefully create a community that supports
and inspires each other in this new era.

1. PyBay <https://pybay.com>, the 5th annual conference will be held online
on our original dates August 14-16!

The modified program will include:

   - 25 and 40-mins talks featuring advances in core Python and how
   industries / hobbyists are applying them
   - 5-mins lightning talks
   - NEW!  Technologies/programs your peers have built to *ease Covid-19's
   impact or increase racial/gender equality*
   - NEW!  *Fireside chat* with Python luminaries and selected speakers
   - NEW!  *Sponsored workshops* to deep dive on tools and technologies
   - NEW!  Attendees initiated video breakout rooms (think open spaces at
   PyCon)

👉 *Call for talk proposals is open now!  Please submit your main talk and
lightning talks here: *https://sessionize.com/pybay2020-online-edition/

I don't know what the registration fee is yet. I am hoping we will secure
enough sponsorship for it to be FREE for everyone. More details on sponsors
prospectus and registration fee on pybay.com.  So far, Anyscale
<https://anyscale.com/> is sponsoring! 🎉. You may recall their amazing talk
on Ray: Scalability from a Laptop to a Cluster
<https://youtu.be/yGWIzRR82DI> at our meetup earlier this year! Good stuff!

2. Project Night will be merged with Presentation Night on the 2nd Wed of
most months

The next meetup
<https://hopin.to/events/sf-python-meetup-july-3c6168ab-56ff-4e20-8ba0-04d8bb3dad71>
is on Wed *July 8th*. Whether you are interested in the scheduled talks
<https://www.meetup.com/sfpython/events/xkwxvqybckblb/> or not, we'd
encourage you to join us as there will be:

   - Scheduled video *breakout session on PyData led by Brian Spiering of
   USF*. These smaller breakout sessions will happen simultaneously as the
   main talks
   - Impromptu video breakout sessions - we can open up a room for you to
   lead a discussion about the new features in Django, get code review, ditch
   the talks because you run into some friends, etc.  👉  Let me know *NOW*
   if you plan to lead a breakout session so we can schedule you on the
   agenda!
   - Synchronicity networking - the platform will match you with other
   participants that's in the networking room for video chat
   - Swag from sponsor
   - 👉  We still have some lightning talk slots available, submit your
   talk ideas <https://bit.ly/sfpythoncfp> if you'd like to speak at this
   event!

In some ways, we are reinventing the way Pythonistas get together as a
community and collaborate with each other. In fact, *We look forward to
your feedback* at our next meetup, especially with this virtual platform
choice so we can fine tune your experience at your Python Conference in
August!

*Start with registering here
<https://hopin.to/events/sf-python-meetup-july-3c6168ab-56ff-4e20-8ba0-04d8bb3dad71>
for
the next meetup and spread the word? *

3. Last month's talk videos are available on our YouTube Channel
<https://www.youtube.com/c/sfpython>

*These videos are available because IBM has covered our video production
cost!* 💕🎉

For over a century, IBM has led world-changing progress by uniting,
empowering, and relentlessly reinventing itself and their customers. The
IBM Data Science Community is the place for data scientists and developers
to learn, share, and engage with their peers and industry renowned data
scientists. Join the IBM Data Science Community and participate in shaping
the digital future!  Go IBM! 👍

   - DIY Data Science using COVID data sources - Nitin Borwankar
   <https://youtu.be/fK9Ati-5IOc>
   - Introduction to alter_recipes: A collection of ready-made statistical
   graphics - Antonio Piccolboni <https://youtu.be/Xy-iMeyUhT8>
   - A Primer on Prefect - Raul Maldonado <https://youtu.be/gr4qKgxvszQ>
   - Lightning Talk - Disrupting the Thesaurus with Data Science - Ben Aaron
   <https://youtu.be/SB0qja2hdww>
   - ...more past meetups and pybay talks
   <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC51aOZF5nnderbuar5D5ifw/playlists>

4. Please donate to SF Python or help us find sponsors

I hope you find the work we do valuable! Our operation is entirely
self-funded and pivoting to virtual turned out to be more work, at least
for now. Please contribute by

   - paying for a ticket for our events when you can, starting with the
   next meetup
   <https://hopin.to/events/sf-python-meetup-july-3c6168ab-56ff-4e20-8ba0-04d8bb3dad71>
on
   July 8
   - making individual donations <http://sf-python.square.site> if you are
   feeling generous
   - connecting me to your company to sponsor SF Python meetups ($500)
and PyBay
   ($2,500-$10,000) <https://pybay.com/2020-sponsor-prospectus/> - they
   will get a digital booth to promote their tech offerings or conduct
   informational interviews with prospective candidates

And please help me thank all the speakers, sponsors, our video post
production person *Alexis Meraz* and especially my *co-organizers Daniel
Pyrathon and Connor Cantrell!* 👍💕👏

Have a great weekend with the videos and see you on July 8th!

Grace Law

PyBay Conference Chair and SF Python Organizer

415-323-0388 / grace at pybay.com

SF Python <https://sfpythonmeetup.com> is a volunteer-run organization
aiming to foster the Python Community in the Bay Area. We produce ~20
educational events a year including PyBay <https://pybay.com/>,
the Regional Python Conference in SF this August. Learn more
<https://youtu.be/EwK04nc4iyI>
ᐧ