[Baypiggies] Looking for help with packaging and git

Irv Kalb Irv at furrypants.com
Tue May 29 20:51:52 EDT 2018

I am looking for some help on an educational project.  I currently teach Introduction to Python programming classes at UCSC-Extension in Santa Clara and at Cogswell College in San Jose.

I am finalizing the development of a new course and potential book – focused on Object Oriented Programming in Python.  To explain many OOP concepts, I am using the pygame extension and have built a number of small games as examples.  I am providing a package of user interface widgets (buttons, checkboxes, etc.) that I wrote as OOP examples, and students can them use to make highly interactive games.  I also have a number of other classes as “helpers” that can be used by students - for example, a Scene Manager that makes it easy to build a multi-scene game. (Maybe I’ll offer to give a talk on all this at BayPiggies some day.)

I have no problems with the Python code – that’s all working fine. However, I do have a bunch of questions around the intersection of packaging, source control using git, and PyCharm.  While I have done all the development on my Mac, I want to package up my classes and publish them in a way that would be both easy for me to continue to develop them, and easy for my students to use them in their projects.

Ideally, I would like to meet with someone who is familiar with building Python modules containing many classes, can explain the basics of the git desktop application, and hopefully show me how to get this all working with PyCharm.

I think I would only need about an hour or two, to let me show you what I have, and talk about the best way to proceed.  I am in Mountain View, but would be willing to travel (locally) to work with the right person.  We could meet at a Startbucks or Peets or some place similar and I would be happy to buy you whatever you might want there.

Please contact me off-list if you are interested and/or have any further questions.

Thanks in advance,

Irv

Irv at furrypants.com