[Baypiggies] pythondev.slack.com for chatting

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:20:21 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 8:36 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Honestly it all sounds very exclusive and walled-off. But I've signed
> up, maybe it'll be different this time.
>
> (I have nothing against Slack -- I just doubt that their model is
> right for open source communities.)

FWIW, that's part of the reason why for IPython/Jupyter, we decided to use
gitter instead of Slack.  For projects whose main operating space is
github, gitter doesn't add any new barrier to entry, since the login is
your github account.  I realize some people may not like having any
accounts at all (or have a dislike of github), but in our case contributing
in almost any way to the project already requires a github login.

Our experience with gitter has been pretty good. I'm sure it lacks some of
the super-power-user bells and whistles of Slack (I use slack at work, but
only in a fairly basic capacity as a chat system, not a highly bot-driven
system). The combination of openness and feature set of gitter has served
us well; we use it extensively in the project; this is our main room

https://gitter.im/jupyter/jupyter

and we have a few others for our most active repos where we consolidate
discussion on key topics.

We switched to gitter from hipchat, and we are much happier with gitter.
We have the open-source license that enables unlimited historical search at
zero cost (by default, the free signup only gives limited history).

Just a data point...

Cheers,