[Baypiggies] Companies moving to Python 3?

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 03:00:27 CEST 2015

> I'm going to say the unpopular thing. Python 3 to Python is Perl 6 to
Perl.

Perl 6 is *very* different than Perl. The syntax is different, and the
implementation is entirely redone. It also took a really long time to come
out. None of those things are particularly true of Python 3. There are only
a few syntactic differences, it didn't take that long to come out, and it's
not an entirely new implementation.

> From my point of view, 2 is a teaching language, a joy to teach.  Python
3, not as much.

I really can't think of any reasons why Python 3 isn't a teaching language.
I've seen several books teaching kids to program that use Python 3.

> I don't how I'm going to teach classes (blueprints for objects) when I
have to skip classic classes.

I don't understand that either. Classes, methods, objects, etc. are all
available in new style classes. Actually, when you're teaching OOP from
scratch new style vs. old style classes just don't matter that much.

> I thought the killer app is Unicode.  I wonder if this list wasn't in
English, in an English-speaking (mostly) country, if we'd be seeing more
Python 3 in action?

Python 2 has Unicode support, so you can't call that the killer feature.
The closest things that Python 3 has to a killer feature are "yield from",
asyncio (which was somewhat backported), and the ability to annotate
parameters, etc. so that you can use a nice static type annotation checker.

> Unicode is real important outside of our culture, isn't it?

Yes, but it's humorous to remember that some cultures, like Japan, resent
Unicode for fairly esoteric reasons ;)